Thursday, October 7, 2010

Us vs. Them.... Us and Them

The Crucible is filled with many conflicts between the characters and the town both public and internal. Many of these conflicts led to the death of many members of Salem. A perfect example is the affair of Abigail and John Proctor. This was a personal conflict kept from the town but the readers were aware of it. Abigail wanted John Proctor so bad she was willing to kill Elizabeth his wife to have him. Many conflicts led the people in the town to claim witch on someone so they would be executed. I feel the conflicts in Salem became too much for some people so they took the opportunity to take the person out forever so they wouldn’t have to deal with them anymore. I don’t understand why someone couldn’t just problem solve, why does everything in the world have to lead to violence and killing.
                Personally I would not be able to kill someone. I have the biggest conscience, I don’t know what to do about it I feel bad about the littlest things. Not only that but I wouldn’t be able to just take someone’s life, how could someone live with that? I don’t understand how people in the world kill others and don’t even feel bad about it themselves. Everyone in Salem used killing and persecution to solve their problems for them.  So in this situation it is hard to relate to the characters in the story. For people of such a strict religion where god will drop you like a puppet how could they do such a thing. I truly don’t understand, in this case I had no way of relating to the book or the characters. Killing is not a way in any case to solve a problem but no one in Salem got this message.

1 comment:

  1. this is exactly what i thought. the crucible has no relations to my religion or anything..it's hard to comprehend how all these killings happened shamelessly.

    ReplyDelete