Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Analysis of Honey Bee

Girl I been thinkin’ ’bout us
And you know I ain’t good at this stuff
But these feelings piling up won’t give me no rest
This might come out a little crazy
A little sideways, yeah maybe
I don’t know how long it’ll take me
But I’ll do my best
            Country music is mostly straight to the point, when listening you know exactly what’s going on. I am not saying country music is not deep because it can be but it does not have those mind twisting analogies and metaphors like other music occasionally has. In this song, the speaker is a man since he is writing a love song and the speaker refers to the other person that the song is for as “girl”. In the first stanza, he is explaining to her that he really likes her but he does not know how to express it to her. He not good with words so he is afraid what he says might not be the right thing to say. He is not good at confessing his emotions with other people especially someone he likes. Although he is going to tell her no matter how bad it comes out because he wants her to know how he feels about her.
Chorus 1:
If you’ll be my soft and sweet
I’ll be your strong and steady
You be my glass of wine
I’ll be your shot of whiskey
You be my sunny day
I’ll be your shade tree
You be my honeysuckle
I’ll be your honey bee
            In the first chorus the speaker is expressing to the girl that they are exactly what each other needs. He needs someone soft and sweet and she needs someone strong and steady. She’ll be his smart, level headed, and a sophisticated person while he’ll be fun, crazy, and spontaneous for her. She’ll be a sunny day meaning she will be the positive aspect in his life, the joy of his life, while he will be her comfort and protector. “You”ll be my honeysuckle, I’ll be your honey bee” meaning they will depend on each other. Each of the metaphors that build the chorus is explaining how they are different but they balance each other. They complete each other’s needs in another person. Through all the metaphors he is trying to express that they are perfect for each other.
Yeah that came out a little country
But every word was right on the money
And I got you smilin’ honey right back at me
Now hold on ’cause I ain’t done
There’s more where that came from
Well you know I’m just havin’ fun
But seriously
            In the third stanza, the speaker tells us he told the girl he likes her but it didn’t come out how he wanted it to but he already knew he wasn’t going to get it right like he stated in stanza 1. Even though nothing came out exactly how he pictured it to it was still completely true. The girl’s response to him was happiness meaning that she feels the same way and she is happy he feels the same way also. But also that what he perceived as the wrong words to say were actually right since she is smiling and she is happy. Words alone cannot explain to her his feelings for her, his feeling are much deeper than words can ever express. He likes her more than she will ever know.
Chorus 2:
If you’ll be my Louisiana
I’ll be your Mississippi
You be my little Loretta
I’ll be your Conway Twitty
You be my sugar baby
I’ll be your sweet iced tea
You be my honeysuckle
I’ll be your honey bee
            Like the first chorus, the speaker uses metaphors to express his feeling that the two of them are perfect for each other. They complete and balance each other. They are exactly what they need for each other.
Your kiss just said it all
I’m glad we had this talk
Nothin’ left to do but fall in each other’s arms
I could’ve said a “I love you”
Could’ve wrote you a line or two
Baby all I know to do
Is speak right from the heart
            In this stanza we officially find out that the girl likes him back. He expresses his emotions for her through words however she expresses how she feels through a kiss telling him she feels the same way about him. Now there is not anything left between them, they each know what the other person is feeling. There are no more secrets to keep them apart so now they can be together. He is so sure of his feelings but he does not know what to. He could tell her he loves her at that moment or write her a song but all he can do is tell her how he feels straight from his heart. All he knows is he is sure he loves and wants to be with her.
Chorus 1
Chorus 2
I’ll be your honey bee
            Repetition of chorus’ and the phrase “I’ll be your honey bee” just keeps emphasizing how much the speaker actually cares for the girl he loves.


               

No comments:

Post a Comment